Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Five Days and $1000


I sadly underestimated the wonderful people that make up my life. To think that I was going to set my initial goal at $500 is truly a laughing matter. On June 22, yesterday, 5 days after launching my Dare fundraising site, I reached my goal. Crazy isn't it?! Crazy awesome! My initial goal was reached with 32 donors: 3 family members, 3 friends, 15 co-workers, 4 professors that I work for, 2 professors that I've taken classes from, 4 super cool acquaintances, and one person that I have never met, but play Farmville with online - gotta love silly facebook games!
Since then (a.k.a yesterday) I've received a few more pledges and am now sitting at a total of $1175. My online total shows $1055, but that is because I have two cheques that I can't log. The new goal is $2500 and I can't wait to reach it.
It's not the shaving my head part that is going to bother me at all. It's hair. It'll grow back. It's the reactions from people that I don't look forward to. The "o my god"s and the "what happened to your hair"s - those are going to drive me nuts. I am hoping the more people I tell about this, the less of that I will have to deal with.
I have yet to convince anyone (except my boyfriend) to shave with me, but I'm working on it. In the meantime I'll continue to think about all of the cute hats I will have a good excuse to wear!

3 comments:

  1. congrats, Brandy, on reaching your first goal! You're setting a great example for all the other Darers (me included). Keep up the great work. And those are cute hats. Hard to imagine wearing a hat now, but in October, they'll be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on hitting 50% of the new goal!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry too much about the looks. There were actually relatively few people who reacted to my shave negatively. Most were very supportive of my headshave as they assumed (correctly) I had donated my hair to the cancer society. They'll probably just assume you did something similar. I actually was laughing at the worst reaction which was when my assistant manager at work screamed... perhaps I should have warned her too and not just the manager...

    ReplyDelete