Saturday, January 2, 2016

B(e) Kind 366: Plans for January

I started off B(e) Kind 366 with an act that I've wanted to complete for some time. My hubs and I completed the paperwork to become a Big Couple with Big Brothers Big Sisters. By the end of the month we should have a "Little" matched with us! The commitment is 3-4 hours a week and my mind is full of ideas of ways to spend time with them.

In addition to my acts of kindness, I am taking on a personal challenge every month. For the month of January I've decided to not drive anywhere. I'm going to have to make a few exceptions, but on a daily basis I'll be walking to and from work, the gym, etc. In the summer this wouldn't be such a a big deal, but January in Manitoba makes this challenge a bit more trying. We've had a really mild winter so far by Manitoba standards so here's hoping it stays mild for the extent of January. In either case, I'm prepared as per the photo to the right!

Another part of B(e) Kind 366 is volunteering with a different organization every month. I already volunteer with quite a few organizations, but because I'm attending World University Service of Canada's International Forum later this month and because January is Student Refugee Program Awareness Month, I'm choosing to dedicate some additional time to WUSC this month.

Of course we can't forget that I am raising funds for three charitable organizations during all of this. Since January is my birthday month I'll be honouring everyone who donates $10+ to my project, by reciprocating the gesture with a small gift. I'd love to send to you a token of appreciation so please consider donating!



2 comments:

  1. What an exciting way to kick off your kindness plans. Awesome! I bet you and your "little" will have lots of fun.

    I am impressed that you are plan to walk everywhere in Manitoba for the month of January. WOW! One of my friends lives there and I am always shocked when I see the temperature there compared to where I live. Good luck- I hope the weather continues to be mild.

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess! It just hit -30 this weekend! Brrrr!

      Delete