Monday, June 21, 2010

Why I'm Going Bald


Howdy folks ---
On Wednesday, October 20th, 2010 I will be trading in my lengthy locks for beautiful baldness - a.k.a. - SHAVING MY HEAD!
I would imagine the first question that pops into your head is WHY? Well, that's what I am here to tell you. You see, approximately a month ago I received an email from Healy Thompson - the coordinator for A Dare to Remember which is a major campaign of the Stephen Lewis Foundation.
Now for some clarification:
The Stephen Lewis Foundation, in short, supports community-based organizations working to turn the tide of HIV/AIDS in Africa. Since 2003, they have funded more than 300 projects in 15 countries. These grassroots groups are the lifeline for their communities: they provide counselling and education about HIV prevention, care and treatment; distribute food, medication and other necessities; reach the sick and vulnerable through home-based health care; help orphans and vulnerable children access education and work through their grief; and support grandmothers caring for their orphaned grandchildren. - Absolutely incredible right?! I think so!
A Dare to Remember, once again - in short, asks people around the world to take on powerful acts of solidarity, face their fears, let their creative juices flow, test their endurance and mobilize their communities. They are ‘remembering’ and honouring Africans who take on extraordinary deeds every day to overcome the AIDS pandemic.
Hence, my dare, to SHAVE MY HEAD!
I had the phenomenal opportunity to meet Stephen Lewis (my hero) on May 29th, 2010. That ten minutes in which he shook my hand, signed my copy of "Race of Against Time", and put his arm around me to have our photo taken, was the best ten minutes of my life. I knew I had to do something big and bold for his foundation.

So - I have wanted to shave my head for some time now. In fact, a few years ago, I chopped off ten inches of my hair and donated it to Evelyn's Wigs - a Manitoba business that makes wigs for children with cancer and/or recovering from the disease. I almost shave my head then, but chickened out. Every year since then, I have toyed with getting up the courage to actually sport a buzz cut! 2010 is the year! In only four short months I will have less than a quarter inch of hair on my head. CAN'T WAIT!
I launched my website on June 18th, 2010 (two days ago). My goal - $1000. I actually thought that might be unattainable, but I could not have been more wrong. It is 12:20 pm on June 20th and I am already over half way there! You know what that means right? - My life is blessed with some of the most caring and supportive people. It also means I am likely going to have to increase my goal - what a pity! (please note the sarcasm).

Here is the link to my fundraising page:
Brandy's Bodacious Baldness
Please, pretty please, with cherries and hot fudge and what ever other toppings you crave - DIG DEEP and DONATE a little or a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment