Sunday, March 15, 2015

International Day of Happiness (March 20)

I'm writing this post for a few reasons: 


1. A few days from now, upwards of 1000 bloggers will come together to create a list of blog posts all following the same theme: Compassion. March 20th marks the second installment of 1000 Voices Speak for Compassion (#1000Speak) and this time the theme gets a bit more specific: "Building Beyond Bullying." You can find the first set of 642 blog posts from February 20 here. The link up for the March 20 posts will be live on that date so if you are interested in participating (and please do) just keep an eye on the 1000 Voices Speak for Compassion facebook page that I linked to above or keep an eye on @1000Speak on Twitter. 


2. I don't think the organizers of 1000Speak realised it, but March 20 also just so happens to be the International Day of Happiness. The point of the movement is to encourage people to reach out and make at least one positive connection on that day in person or online. You can get involved and download your own Happiness Pack from their website. All of the #1000Speak participants are already taking action for happiness whether they realise it or not simply by sharing their positive blog posts far and wide. Adding one more hashtag (#IDOH) is all it would take to acknowledge the International Day of Happiness and take part in the initiative!


3. I've gotten myself back into blogging this year in an effort to garner support for a huge project I am undertaking in 2016. B(e) Kind 366 has been in the making for a couple of years now and I'm finally going to have the time to dedicate to it come January. Every day of the year (366 because 2016 is a leap year) I'll be performing a random act of kindness as well as launching different events to raise funds for World University Service of Canada's Student Refugee Program, an organisation and program that has changed my life over the ten years I have been involved with it and continues to inspire me daily.  

If happiness, compassion, and kindness don't go together, I don't know what does! 

No comments:

Post a Comment