Tuesday, April 21, 2015

A-Z Challenge: Random Acts of Kindness beginning with "R"

Throughout the A-Z Challenge I'll be blogging through the alphabet using each letter to create a list of Random Acts of Kindness. I've been collecting RAK ideas for some time now as I gear up to the 2016 launch of a project dear to my heart: B(e) Kind 366. I'll be performing an act of kindness every day of the leap year starting January 1st, 2016 while raising funds for World University Service of Canada (WUSC), an organisation that changed my life.

I'm starting each post with a synonym (of sorts) for kindness. I added this part to my posts because of an amazing movement I am a part of 1000 Voices Speak for Compassion. We link up monthly and blog about changing the world for the better. It's magical really. We're even on Twitter! @1000Speak

R is for Respect

Random - Pick a name from the phone book and mail surprise note/gift  
Re - shelve misplaced groceries, -hang clothes that have fallen off store hangers, -use plastic and canvas grocery bags.
Read - to a child, to a senior, something you normally wouldn’t, something from a banned book list, something written by someone from a marginalized group, a book that someone recommends, to participate in a reading challenge or a read-a-thon. Read something and pass it along to someone else or leave it in a public place for a stranger. I recommend: Citizens of Nowhere
Recycle
Review – a book, a film, a restaurant, someone’s customer service, BUT make sure it’s all positive!
Run – 1km, 5km, 10km, a half marathon, a full marathon. Run to raise funds or run just to run! (I’ll be running a half marathon in December of 2016.)
Ride for Refuge (I'll be biking 25km in October of 2016.)

That's it for my "R" list! I am always looking for more RAK ideas so if any come to mind please do post them in the comments!

Since I keep urging you to check out my super fun "If Jane Austen Blogged A-Z" post to win some Jane Austen swag, it's only fitting that I give you an "R is for Reading" recommendation from Jane Austen's novels as well. If you have read two or more Austen novels, I highly recommend Northanger Abbey. It is, by far, my favourite. If you have never read Austen or have only read Pride and Prejudice, then I recommend Sense and Sensibility! It's hilarious and you'll love it! If you enter my giveaway, you'll have a VERY good chance of winning some read-worthy Austen books!

9 comments:

  1. I am so happy to have discovered your blog, thanks to Randi Lee, and am only sorry I missed all the posts before R! I'll go back and read the others as I really enjoyed reading about what you are doing. Randi was right, this is an uplifting blog to read. Keep it up and good luck next year! Following the "voices" on Twitter now... Lisa, co-host AtoZ 2015, @ http://www.lisabuiecollard.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found me via Randi too :) She's great isn't she?!

      Delete
  2. What a great word...well two words...for R! I love coming here. It's so RED and happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love RED! In case you weren't sure :) Glad you love coming here. It always makes me smile too.

      Delete
  3. I actually do a few of those R things. The reusable grocery bags, for example. And I write book reviews (I was determined to crack down on doing that, and I'm proud to say that I've kept on track this year!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you for both, but especially the book reviews. I have been trying hard to keep up with reviewing what I read this year too.

      Delete
  4. We both wrote about recycling...but in a totally different way. I'm not sure in this day and age people wouldn't be a bit scared if they got a random package in the mail. And that's kinda of shame...maybe a random gift but to someone you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Sandy! Perhaps someone you know is a better idea!

      Delete
  5. I've been following Ride for Refuge since it started. What a great organization! I've got another R for you: Rock the Drop, a teen literacy program where you leave YA books in random places on a certain day in April: http://www.readergirlz.com/tbd.html

    @ShonnaSlayton from
    Shonna Slayton YA Writer - Blogged the 1940’s from A to Z and now on the road trip

    ReplyDelete