Friday, May 17, 2013

Celebrate the Small Things - May 17

This is my first post in the Celebrate the Small Things blog hop hosted over at Scribblings of an Aspiring Author. As the title suggests, this is supposed to be about reflecting back on the little things that made you smile or that you are especially thankful for that have occurred throughout the week. Well, you see, I've had one heck of a good week so a lot of the things I am going to mention here aren't really small, per say.

On Monday, my fiance and I financed a 2013 Toyota Tacoma SR5 Limited Edition. It's a double cab with heated leather seats, touch screen controls, and is blue tooth equipped. I love it!


On Thursday, I received a letter informing me that I was the recipient of the Silver Medal in English which would be awarded during Convocation. The Silver Medal is awarded to the most outstanding graduating student in each department as chosen by the faculty department members. They chose me! I always dreamed of receiving this honour, but never thought I would ever see my name associated with it. I am ecstatic!

On Friday, today, I received an email informing me that I was successful in my application to the Social Science and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) for a $17,500 CAD Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS Master's Scholarship. I put myself through the brutal application process in November and have been playing the waiting game every since. I am getting a freaking SSHRC a.k.a I'm an academic superstar!

Those are my three big reasons to celebrate!

In addition to those I am especially thankful for my dear friend who brought flowers to my office on Wednesday to thank me for helping her pull off a huge fundraising gala two weeks ago and for ensuring her pre-wedding social went off smoothly the week before that. I do these things because I love her; there is no act of appreciation required, but the flowers were a lovely surprise none-the-less.

My Mom drove the two and a half hours from her home to mine to celebrate with me on Thursday. Of all of the things in my life, I am most thankful to have a mother like mine. She is that mother in the corner of every room I am in holding up a sign that reads, "That's my daughter! Go Brandy!" I'm kidding of course; there is never physically a sign, but the look on her face or the tone of her voice exudes a love and support that never falters. 

When I found out about the Silver Medal on Thursday, another one of my beautiful friends took the time to remind me of something I often forget. I told her that I never imagined I would ever be presented with an honour like the Silver Medal and her response was, "It still surprises me that you don't realise you are amazing."



I've accomplished a lot of pretty fantastic things in my life, but I stand behind the fact that I could never have done any of it without the impeccable support I receive from the people I am surrounded by. Now that's something to celebrate!

20 comments:

  1. WOOHOO! HOOPLA! AMAZING? I think not, EXPECTED? LIKELY? ANTICIPATED? PREDICTED? DESERVING? YOU BET!CONGRATULATIONS! AND MAY I SAY ONE MORE TIME... WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this post should be Celebrate the SUPER HUGE FANTASTIC things! That is a lot of amazingness and love for one week. Good for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! My first post in the hop just so happens to be HUGE rather than small. Most weeks are not likely to be quite so exciting!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh this is lots to celebrate in one week - wow! Thank you for joining in the celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for running this hop. I'm so glad I happened upon it!

      Delete
  4. That's a lot to be happy about! And if it weren't for my mom, I don't know where I'd be so 3 cheers for awesome moms!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so GREAT!! What an awesome week! Congratulations on all of it. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the hop! Where would we be without our mums, eh? Congrats on the award. Looking forward to reading more of y our posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I owe all that I am to my Mom! Thanks so much; I'll be sure to stop by yours again soon too!

      Delete
  7. WOW, wow and WOW. Congrats all around, are you out there dancing in the streets! If not I think you should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy! I've been bouncing off the walls most of the week!

      Delete
  8. Yay!! Congratulations on getting that medal, and being able to do your Master's :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebeccah! I am so excited to be going on to do my MA; I can't wait.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations Academic Superstar! That is awesome!
    And congrats on the new double cab!
    Sounds like you've had a GREAT week!

    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my friends coined that term and I fell in love with it ;)

      Delete
  10. What wonderful 'big' celebrations for you - and congratulations to you for those achievements, especially since there are so many talented and truly excellent candidates! - but your friends and your mother sound to me like the sort of things - factors, if you will - that underlie our lives and make them truly wonderful.
    Very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My celebrations wouldn't be nearly as wonderful if not for my family and friends!

      Delete