Friday, May 24, 2013

Celebrate The Small Things - May 24

This is my second time posting as part of this blog hop hosted over at Scribblings of an Aspiring Author. This week's is a lot less exciting than last week's.

This week has been a bit rough on me physically, mentally, emotionally, you name it and if it was mine, it went through the ringer this week. I developed a cold last weekend that started in my throat and has since moved to my sinuses. I've been dragging my butt from work to home and back all week. The leave of absence I requested from work so that I could count on being employed after spending the next two years as a broke graduate student, was declined. Now, I'm sure to be Brandy Robertson, MA and working at Starbucks. It's not only the lack of a secure job that this rejection causes, it is also going to make it quite difficult for me to get the student line-of-credit that I need if I am going to eat something other than Mr. Noodle for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the next two years. On top of that, I received two scholarship rejection letters as well, another potential $10,000 down the toilet.

You know when you're just so high on life (like I was last week) that it seems like nothing can knock you down and then a bulldozer blazes in followed by a wrecking ball and your world comes crumbling down? Ya, it was a rough week.

So today, I am celebrating the strength to accept the things that I cannot strange, the courage to change the things that I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. I can't change any of these things, but life is still pretty darn great! I graduate next Friday (guess what I'll be posting about?) after seven long years of working part time towards my Honours BA. As I walk across the stage they'll say, "Brandy Robertson, With Great Distinction, and the recipient of the Silver Medal in English." I'll undoubtedly have to shake the hand of the person that denied my leave of absence request and accept the mandatory words of congratulations that she has to give me. Heck, maybe I'll even say, "Thank you." All I know for sure is that I will hold my head high, find my Mom and Baba in the crowd, smile as the tears of joy run down my Mom's face, try to keep my own tears at bay, and think to myself, "YOU DID IT!"




25 comments:

  1. I'm glad you can see the bright side of things. I hope that things look up for you and that some good news is around the corner. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lexa! I have a few more scholarship applications that I am waiting to hear back about so fingers crossed!

      Delete
  2. I love that saying, and yes, it works when you keep on saying it. So sorry you've had a rough week, but am really looking forward to celebrating your graduation with you! Woohoo! And all that pomp and circumstance! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall celebrate together, indeed! I will definitely post photos :)

      Delete
  3. It can be so tough when the bubble bursts, but you my dear have many many moons of big hardy bubbles ahead of you! (ANd I dont mean boobs ya swearing junkie). You will go far my friend. I cant wait to see the graduation! WEEEEEEEEEHA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My bout of swearing is quickly coming to an end. Only V, W, X, Y, and Z left to go!

      Delete
  4. Life throws struggles at us to see if we can cope with them. It is tough, but if you can realise that it won't last forever then you're on the right path. I graduated with my MA in 2007, and I've only just got a job that I love! Good things do happen, even if you have to wait a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite confident that I will do great things with my MA or perhaps even a Ph.D!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a pretty rough week indeed! Still, you have come so far and whatever happens next week, no one can take that BA from you. Looking forward to some graduation pics! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely post at least a few pics! Thanks for the tip to focus on the fact that my BA is mine forever!

      Delete
  6. This too will pass. That's one assurance--time marches on. Hang in there and CONGRATULATIONS on your upcoming graduation!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, it will pass! It just seemed like one blow after another. I'm looking forward to this coming week, though!

      Delete
  7. It's so hard not to wallow in those wrecking ball days! Thanks for this post, as I've been trying not to wallow in a minor negative thing that occurred, one that's so ordinary and expected at times but still affects me - a negative review! Things were looking so high, then that. :)

    You tell yourself to expect rejection, but it still tips you over for a while when you get it.

    Well, thanks for this post. It's what I needed to hear. I do keep on celebrating the many blessings coming my way, and I hope you keep celebrating yours. Writer’s Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can see how a negative review could send you into an emotional downward spiral. I've never published anything, but I do know what it feels like to get negative crit on a piece of writing for class. I'm glad this post could offer you some solace and I bet you have way more positive than negative reviews over all!

      Delete
  8. Try to give thanks for all the negatives as they appear and ask yourself "what can I learn from this"? You're already getting the lesson! You were denied what you wanted, but contemplating handling it with grace by saying Thank You...that is a *huge* lesson to learn about dealing with life's disappointments. It's never about the other person, it's always about you and your own growth. When we learn that, life becomes more simple for us to understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took to that way of thinking some time ago. There is always a silver lining - always. Sometimes it is really really difficult to see, but it's there.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for visiting KenmaursCorner and leaving a comment!
    And you and your family savour your MA.
    Most women are like teabags: Putting them in hot water makes them strong(er)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on graduating and on making it through a tough week. I love your positive out look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your MA. You have achieved far more than the majority of people and I agree with Kirsten - people can strip you of everything you have but they'll never be able to take your knowledge...

    Often, out of the greatest disappointment comes the greatest joy.

    I'm popping over to your Botswana post. I live in South Africa and Botswana is our neighbour. My sister and her family lived in a tiny town called Selebi Phikwe for 20 years and the holidays we spent with them were magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I visited Selebi-Phikwe when I was in Botswana actually. I was also in a few cities in SA too, Pretoria and Johannesburg/Soweto. I miss Botswana every day!

      Delete
  12. I haven't felt the highs of life in so long I can't remember what happy is. I remember laughing, and funny, but not happy.

    Sad. But, I write better when I'm miserable. Perhaps I am meant to suffer for my art.

    -The Insomniacs Dream

    PS what a fucking downer! I'm thankful for coffee. And that I quit smoking. There's some happiness for you fucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coffee is my religion. Kick smoking's ass, Starr. You're better than that shit!

      Delete
  13. I am sorry you have had a rough week. Congratulations on your graduation - enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on graduating this week. It must be a relief to know that you are finally done.

    ReplyDelete