Tuesday, May 14, 2013

If She's a Lipstick Lesbian, What Am I?

When 'G' came up in The ABC's of Swearing I had full intentions of posting about how ridiculous it is that the word 'gay' is used as a derogatory term...and then I found Gizoogle...and the rest was history.

People don't really go around saying, "That's so lesbian," but lesbian is none-the-less a taboo term that is used offensively: "What are you a lesbian or something?" as if being a lesbian is the worst thing in the world that someone could be.


I decided to do a little research for this blog post and came across The Other Team and a list of common lesbian terms. I scrolled down to 'L' terms since today is technically 'L' day and was immediately drawn to Lipstick Lesbian (perhaps because I love any excuse to wear red lipstick).

Lipstick Lesbian: a woman who loves other women, but also loves her clothes, makeup, and shoes. She tends to dress on the femmy side.


There are so many different terms used to describe different "types" of lesbians: baby dyke, drag king, gold star, pillow queen, u-haul lesbian - to name a few.

After reading the list I wondered if there were similar terms to describe straight people, but we don't have different terms for straight people, do we?

8 comments:

  1. I kind of think maybe you should, there are obviously different types of straight people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually tried to come up with some, but my creativity was obviously thwarted as I came up with a big pile of nothing! I mean, I find intelligence incredibly sexy so maybe I would classified as "Nerdy Straight".

      Delete
  2. I can think of a few but decorum prevents me from typing them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O, come on, Zoe. Off the top of my head, I honestly can't think of terms we call straight people that are determined by precise sexual preference.

      Delete
    2. I was just being a smart ass about decorum but the only two I know are quite tame...maybe Ive presided over too many gay weddings...Massachusetts y'know...

      no mo hetro is someone who is PAINFULLY straight..like dork material...

      BREEDERS...I did one wedding and one of the grooms was asked why they chose a "breeder"for the JP...as if they were somehow disloyal by asking me their friend to marry them.

      Its all in who ya hang with.

      Delete
  3. I don't think it ever comes up...let me think...nope. It's just straight. Lame and wrong. BUt don't get me started on this subject.. I tend to get ranty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strange, never heard any of those other terms, just Gay and Lesbian. Gotta be careful with red lipstick...must have strange chemicals in me, they often turn orange which irritates me. By the way wanted to mention if you use the name and url option instead of leaving your google+ page I'll be able to come directly to your blog. When you leave your google+ link and a cut and paste of your url in comment, it takes time to go to your profile page and find the blog and click a 2nd or 3rd time; and the url you leave isn't clickable. I have name and url option in drop down box just like you do here. If I don't use it and use the generic google (like your google+) you'll go to the profile/dashboard area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cocksucker, muffdiver, whore, slut, pussy eater . . . Those are just a few terms I've heard aimed at straight people in reference to sexual preference. ;)

    I accepted your award and answered your questions today.

    -The Insomniacs Dream

    ReplyDelete